Fraser Valley Chilliwack
Chilliwack takes its name from the local first nations people and various geographic features. The Sto:lo first arrived in the Chilliwack area, between 5,000 and 10,000 years ago. Chilliwack is now the second largest municipality in the Upper Fraser Valley, covering a territory of 100 square miles, between the Fraser River, the US/Canada border, Abbotsford to the west, and Bridal Falls and Hope to the east.
During the Fraser River gold rush, most of the miners passed through the Chilliwack area. By the mid 1860s farming began around the steamboat landings at Miller's Landing, Sumas Landing and Chilliwack Landing. The Township of Chilliwack was incorporated in 1873, and is the third oldest municipality in British Columbia.
With little room for expansion along the river, the town expanded toward the New Westminster-Yale Wagon Road, around Wellington Avenue and Young Road. This new centre came to be called Five Corners. By 1881 a large subdivision called Centreville was developed, though within a few years, Centreville was renamed Chilliwack, which incorporated in 1908 as the City of Chilliwack.
The City and the Township co-existed for 72 years, and in 1980 they merged to become the District of Chilliwack.
Here are the other Fraser Valley communities:
[ Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge
| Harrison - Aggazis
Map of Hotels and Attractions