Fraser Valley Langley, Fort Langley
Langley is the municipality that extends from the Fraser River down to the US border. Langley is the "Horse Capital of BC", with both world class equestrian events and trail riding options.
Fort Langley is about 50 km southeast of Vancouver in the Fraser Valley,
just past Coquitlam.
Aldergrove is part of Langley Township. Aldergrove takes its name from the abundant second growth of the alder tree.
Fort Langley was the first European settlement in the Fraser Valley, part of the trading post network of the Hudson's Bay Company. The first fort site was built in 1827, 48 km from the mouth of the Fraser. It was moved four km up the river to be closer to fertile farmland. Fort Langley was important for salmon processing, and processed up to two thousand 365 kg barrels each year. In the 1850s, Fort Langley became the jumping-off point for 30,00 miners heading to the Fraser gold fields. The Fort's operations ceased in 1886, and deteriorated until 1923, when is was declared a historic site. In 1955, the fort became a national historic park.
Here are the other Fraser Valley communities:
[ Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge
| Harrison - Aggazis
Map of Hotels and Attractions